Friday, March 14, 2008

March 14. The depth of a great man.

Whilst uncovering the life of Carl Weber I came accross a journal, and inside the journal was list after list after list.


His lists were constructed for so many different things, poems, travels, simple things to do as well as one named "Books" which were mainly related to his profession. One in particular was entitled "Primary element's of algebra". Carl Weber was a very well-read man.



Ray, Joseph, 1807-1855 New Elementary Algebra : Primary Elements of Algebra


He didn't just like to read books, he loved poetry as well and the following is an extract from a poem from the top of his list entitled My Lost Youth, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.



Often I think of the beautiful town
That is seated by the sea;
Often in thought go up and down
The pleasant streets of that dear old town,
And my youth comes back to me.
And a verse of a Lapland song
Is haunting my memory still:
"A boy's will is the wind's will,
And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts."


I can see the shadowy lines of its trees,
And catch, in sudden gleams,
The sheen of the far-surrounding seas,
And islands that were the Hesperides
Of all my boyish dreams.
And the burden of that old song,
It murmurs and whispers still:
"A boy's will is the wind's will,
And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts."


The issue still lies as to the name of his eighth child, marked as deceased on Weber's death certificate. I'm going to run a search at the University of Wollongong Library to see if there is any information about the child.

No comments: