Friday, March 14, 2008

March 12, 6pm. Grave Digging.

Today was massive! I spent until noon at Woranora Cemetery. I wandered into reception to get my hands on a map, waited for the receptionist to locate his grave and realised I actually parked my car right infront of it!

Amazing. I thought I'd be wandering around like a lost cause - I think not, X marks the spot!












If only the sun were behind me! I had a good run, I can't complain. After making my way to Woranora I decided to head back to Wollongong Library this afternoon to continue fishing through the manuscript. After about 3 hours I'd photocopied tons of material and made a plan to siv through it at a later date.

And then... one of the librarians asked me whether or not I was studying Journalism. Strange I know, "Why yes." I said with a tired grin. She then proceeded to tell me that people had been coming in all day looking for significant people who had died 30 years ago and she was trying to compile a list of possible subjects.

The librarian mentioned she was suprised I'd chosen Carl as she couldn't locate his grave. After I told her I'd just been at his gravesite she stood without words for a few seconds before pacing up and down the room asking a multitude of questions.

I told the librarian where his grave was and in return she said she had found a book Tales From Our Streets, written by Anne Wood, which encompassed an array of information about he and his family's journey from England to Australia.

The short, one page biography seemed to fill in the gaps. His life was filled with more excitement than I first thought!

Carl is linked to the Royal Family. He came to london when he was 1 year old with his mother and sister due to his father, Adalbert, who was a Captain in the Prussian Army, who had challenged his Colonel and Captain to a duel.

But wait, there's more!

He was secretly engaged to Adelaide, Carl's mother, who was a Baroness, despite the fact that she was to wed a Prussion prince in an arranged marriage!

... My, what a day!

No comments: